|This appendix lists extracts from Reverend James O'Laverty's An Historical Account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern, Vol. I, 1878. It describes the way in which the townland make-up of the parishes differs from that of the civil parishes
P65. Parish of Kilmegan
The parish of Kilmegan is coterminous with the civil parish of Kilmegan; it is situated partly in the barony of Kinelarty, partly in Lecale, but chiefly in Upper Iveagh, and contains the towns of Castlewellan and Dundrum.
P116. Parish of Ballykinlar
This Parish comprises the entire civil parishes of Ballykinlar and Tyrella, the townlands of Upper and Lower Rathmullan and Ballyplunt, which belong to the civil parish of Rathmullan, and the ancient parish of Drumcaw, containing the townlands of Ardilea, Claragh, Clough, Drumanaghan or Drumulcaw, Drumaroad, Drumcaw, Dunturk, Knocksticken, and Scrib, which, A.D. 1718, was made by Act of Council part and parcel of the civil parish of Loughanisland.
P139. The Parish of Bright
The parish of Bright contains the entire civil parish of Bright, and the townlands of Ballylucas, Ballynewport, Ballyvaston, Islandban, Killough, and St. John's Point belonging to the civil parish of Rathmullan, the townlands of Carrowdressex *, Commonreagh, and Rossglass belonging to the civil parish of Kilclief, and the townland of Kildare's Crew belonging to the civil parish of Ardglass.
* O'Laverty's statement that the townlands of Carrowdressex, Commonreagh and Rossglass then belonged to the civil parish of Kilclief is in agreement with the information contained in the 'General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland (1851)' . However, Griffith's Valuation of 1863 places Carrowdressex and Commonreagh in the civil parish of Bright and Rossglass in the civil parish of Rathmullan.
P166. Dunsford and Ardglass
The united parish of Dunsford and Ardglass includes the entire civil parishes of Dunsford and Ardglass, except the townland of Kildare's Crew, it also includes Killard which belongs to the civil parish of Kilclief.
P189. Parish of Ballee
The parish of Ballee contains all the civil parish of Ballee except the townlands of Ballyalton, Carrownacaw, Loughmoney, and Slievenagriddle, which belong to the parish of Saul. It also includes the townlands of Ballyculter, Ballylenagh, Cargagh, Loughkeelan, and part of Castlemahan, which are portions of the civil parish of Bally-culter.
P200. The Parish of Kilclief
The parish of Kilclief extends over the entire civil parish of Kilclief as at present constituted, except Upper Killard and Lower Killard. It also includes Ballyorgan, which belongs to the civil parish of Rathmullan, and the townlands of Ballynarry, Ballynagarrick, and Whitehills, which belong to the civil parish of Ballyculter. And on September 2, 1870, the townlands of Lower Strangford, Upper Strangford, Ferry Quarter, and Lagnagoppoge, belonging to the civil parish of Ballyculter, were severed from the parish of Ballee and united to Kilclief.
P217. The Parish of Saul
The parish of Saul includes the entire civil parish of Saul as at present arranged, it has also the townlands of Ballyalton, Carronacaw, Loughmoney, and Slievenagriddle, which belong to the civil parish of Ballee. Saul has also the townlands of Audleystown, Carrinteggart, Castleward, Raholp, Tullyratty, some islands in the lough, and part of Castlemahon, which are portions of the civil parish of Ballyculter.
P248. The Parish of Down
The parish of Down contains the entire civil parish of Down, as given in the last census.
P321. The United Parish of Inch, Kilmore , & Killyleagh
The united parish of Inch, Kilmore, and Killyleagh, contains the civil parishes of Inch, Killyleagh, and Kilmore (except the townlands of Magheralone, Murvaclogher, or Broaghclough, Rossconor, and Teconnaught, which have been added to the civil parish of Kilmore only since the year 1718)